Author: Internet Archive Book Images
Italy - handbook for travellers (1906) (14594189569)
Identifier: italyhandbookfor00karluoft ( find matches) Title: Italy : handbook for travellers Year: 1906 ( 1900s) Authors: Karl Baedeker (Firm) Subjects: Italy -- Guidebooks Publisher: Leipsic, K. Baedeker Contributing Library: Robarts - University of Toronto Digitizing Sponsor: MSN View Book Page: Book Viewer About This Book: Catalog Entry View All Images: All Images From Book Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book. Text Appearing Before Image: a painting by Macrino dAlba. — Casale Monferrato isthe junction of the Asti-Mortara line (p. 52) and of that to Chivasso (seeabove). It is also connected with Alessandria, with Vercelli (see above),and with Montemagno (p. 52; via Altavilla) by tramways. — Various smallstations, including (23 M.) Valenza (p. 190). — 35 M. Alessandria, see p. 53. From Vercelli to Pavia, see p. 190. The train crosses the Sesia (p. 71); to the left rise the Alps,with the magnificent Monte Rosa group. — 52 M. Borgo Vercelli. to Milan, NOVARA. 16. Route 67 62 M. Novara (490 ft.; Rail. Restaurant; Alb. dItalia, ViaBenedetto Cairoli, R. 3, omn. 3/4 fr.; Hot. de la Ville, Via GaudenzioFerrari, R. 21/2, omn. 1/2fr.; Alb. TreRe, clean), the Roman xVovana,an episcopal town and formerly a fortress, with 17,600 inhab., wasthe scene of a victory gained by the Austrians under Radetzky overthe Piedmontese in 1849, which led to the abdication of CharlesAlbert (in the Palazzo Bellini, see p. 68). ^Jcanodossola- Text Appearing After Image: From the station we follow the Via Garibaldi to the PiazzaCavoiir. A little to the W., at the end of the Via Gaudenzio Ferrari,rises the church of San Gaudenzio, erected about 1570 by Tibaldi,with a dome 390 ft. high, a,dded by Antonelli (p. 39) in 1875-78.The church, without aisles, in imitation of Sant Andrea at Mantua,contains (2ud chapel to the left) a large altar-piece by Oaud. 5* 68 Route 16. MAGENTA. Ferrari (1514, restored in 1902). The tower commands a wide■view. — To the S., in the Via Negroni, rises the Palazzo Bellini,built by P. Tibaldi; the facade dates from about 1680, the prettyrococo decoration of the interior from the 18th century. The Cathedral, originally an early-Christian edifice, has beenentirely altered by rebuilding and by additions due to Antonelli.It contains frescoes by Bern. Lanini and a Marriage of St. Catharine,by Gaud. Ferrari. On the opposite side of the entrance-court is anearly-Romanesque Baptistery. — A few yards to the W. is a marblestatue of Note About Images Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.