The street railway review (1891) (14574902599)
«Brockton & Plymouth Ry» (original caption) Identifier: streetrailwayrev14amer ( find matches) Title: The street railway review Year: 1891 ( 1890s) Authors: American Street Railway Association Street Railway Accountants' Association of America American Railway, Mechanical, and Electrical Association Subjects: Street-railroads Publisher: Chicago : Street Railway Review Pub. Co Contributing Library: Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Digitizing Sponsor: Lyrasis Members and Sloan Foundation View Book Page: Book Viewer About This Book: Catalog Entry View All Images: All Images From Book Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book. Text Appearing Before Image: ation the road is peculiarly favored, as it passes throughthe Pl>Tnouth country—a country world-renowned because ofits associations with the incidents connected with the birth of thenation. Brockton, the northerly terminus of the liiv to Plymoutli,has direct connection by trolley and steam road with Boston, andwith all the cities and towns of importance in southeastern Massa- At Kingston the line passes many interesting landmaiks, includ-ing the house of Major John Bradford. The cars ne.\t enter the picturesque old town of Plymouth, wherealmost every other house perpetuates some name prominent on theMayflower roll, and where even the old elms remind of treatiessigned and compacts sealed, every one of which comprises a chap-ter in the early history of the American people. Of chief interestin the town are the Faith Monument, erected to the memory ofthe Pilgrims by a grateful people in remembrance of their labors,sacrifice ami sufferings for the cause of civil and religious liberty; Text Appearing After Image: BROCKTON & PLYMOUTH RV. chusetts. Cars of the Brockton & Plymouth Street Ry. leave Brock-ton on a half-hourly schedule during the summer months and makethe run to Plymouth Center in two hours. Leaving Brockton the line passes through South Hanson andPlymouth Woods to Silver Lake, the largest area of water insoutheastern Massachusetts, and said to have been first exploredby the captain of the Mayflower. The next place passed is Dux-bury. This place was settled in 1630-1632 by men of honor anddistinction in the civil and religious history of the Pilgrims, andwas called Duxbury, after Duxbury Hall, the seat of the Standishfamily in England, for Miles Standish settled here, as did John Pilgrim Hall, containing a choice collection of many and diversobjects connected with or related more or less intimately to thehistory of the town, conspicuous among them being the pewterplate, iron pot and old sword of Miles Standish; residence of Gov-ernor Bradford, who was 31 times chosen governo Note About Images Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.